About Fund Ratings
We rate each fund which we research, and provide this rating to clients through a subscription service. We offer three Rating levels:
Tier 1 Rating:This is our top rating. We are satisfied that this offering is managed according to a well-considered process, applied consistently and supported by the business.
Tier 2 Rating:This is a good fund, however we have some minor concerns which may be people, process or business related.
Tier 3 Rating:This is a negative rating. We have one or more fundamental concerns about aspects of this fund and believe there are better alternatives.
Our research process focusses on all elements which drive long term investment success. In this we include the business structure within which the fund operates, the fund management team, their beliefs and principles they follow in making decisions, team dynamics and culture, as well as evidence of investment process being followed consistently. This approach offers the highest degree of comfort that the fund is being managed appropriately.
Clients use our ratings as an independent guide to make informed investment decisions.
How we select funds to rate
- Funds which are widely held in existing portfolios
- Client requested funds
- New funds coming to market where there is client interest
- Funds which are offered on investment platforms (LISPS)
- Funds we identify based on various factors
Currently we cover:
- South African and Offshore domiciled funds
- Single asset class and Multi-asset class funds
- Active and Passive funds
- Funds from large institutions as well as smaller boutiques